If you wanna read more about the idea and thought with this article series, read the first post HERE.
1992, the year when black metal entered my life even though death metal still managed to be a big part of it all. This is also the first year where it starts to be very hard to choose only 10 favourites. This due to amazing amount of classics released. Here’s some of the bands that sadly didn’t make the cut even though I wished they did: ASPHYX, BLIND GUARDIAN, BOLT THROWER, DREAM THEATER, FURBOWL, HYPOCRISY, MY DYING BRIDE, NAPALM DEATH, OBITUARY, PANTERA, PARADISE LOST and VITAL REMAINS.
Some bands formed in 1992:
- Black Label Society
- Machine Head
- Theatre of Tragedy
Some events during 1992:
- Motörhead’s drummer Phil Taylor finally leaves after recording “Ain’t No Nice Guy” for the March or Die album. The drummer on that album is Tommy Aldridge, who was replaced by Mikkey Dee after recording the album.
- Metallica frontman James Hetfield suffers second and third-degree burns due to a pyrotechnic accident during the Guns N’ Roses/Metallica Stadium Tour.
- Body Count sparks nationwide controversy over the song from their self-titled debut album, “Cop Killer”.
- Vince Neil leaves Mötley Crüe and is replaced by John Corabi
- Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo is replaced by Paul Bostaph.
- Fanoft Stave Church near Bergen, Norway is destroyed by Varg Vikernes of Burzum on June 6. Other church burnings attributed to black metal musicians also took place throughout Scandinavia.
MY TOP 10 FOR 1992:
AT THE GATES – ”THE RED IN THE SKY IS OURS”
My first meeting with AT THE GATES was through the Peaceville compilation ”Vol4″ and the track ”Kingdom Gone”. A track that still today is my favourite from ATG.-
BRUTAL TRUTH – ”EXTREME CONDITIONS DEMAND EXTREME RESPONSES”
Never before had my ears heard as insane drumming as Scott Lewis offered on this album. ”Walking Corpse” is probably still my absolute favourite grindcore-tun along with TERRORIZER’s ”Dead Shall Rise”.
BURZUM – ”BURZUM”
Deathlike Silence Productions
My journey home form J-Music/Haparanda have never felt as long as this weekend in March when I couldn’t wait until I got home to Luleå and my friends to play them this, my latest finding. Think what you will of Varg Vikernes but this is a modern classic of primitive black metal!!-
CANNIBAL CORPSE – ”TOMB OF THE MUTILATED”
”Hammer Smashed Face”, ”I Cum Blood”, ”Addicted to Vaginal Skin”…hitsong after hitsong!! A classic and still my favourite from the Chris Barnes-era.-
DARKTHRONE – ”A BLAZE IN THE NORTHERN SKY”
The (un)holy grail, the original, the mold from which the second wave of black metal was born. Still to me the most perfect black metal album ever to have been made.
DEICIDE – ”LEGION”
The debut is brilliant!! ”Legion” however is a real punch in the face in the form of satanic US-death metal!! This was Glen Benton in his prime….-
GRAVE – ”YOU’LL NEVER SEE…”
Most people talk about ”Into the Grave” (1991) or ”Soulless” (1994) as GRAVE’s biggest masterpiece. All these people are wrong! ”You’ll Never See…” with monster hits such as You’ll Never See, Now and Forever and Christi(ns)anity is the album that takes home the prize.-
MARDUK – ”DARK ENDLESS”
No Fashion Records
The Intro for ”Still Fucking Dead” still gives me the same chills as it gave me 22 years ago. Black metal with a whole lot of death metal-influenses and a fantastic vocal performance from Andreas ”Dread” Axelsson. The funeral seems to be endless……….. -
SAMAEL – ”BLOOD RITUAL”
SAMAEL’s ”Blood Ritual” is an album that possesses an atmosphere that few other bands, including the band themselves, have succeded to conjure. ”Ceremony of Opposites” (1994) in all honour, but to my ears the band never did surpass the brillance of this masterpiece.
VADER – ”The Ultimate Incantiation”
Who can forget about the slightly fantastic ballerina/cat eye/power plant video with the worst lip sync ever for the track ”Dark Age” that Headbangers Ball used to show? Well, not me anyways. The original gods of Polish death metal!!
I you wanna read more about the idea and thought with this article series, read the first post —->>> HERE
1991, what a insane year when it comes to Death Metal. Many of my personal favourites were released this year and some of them are featured in the list below.
Some bands formed in 1991:
- Betrayer (pre. Belphegor)
- Cradle of Filth
Some events during 1991:
- November 24: Queen‘s Freddie Mercury dies of AIDS induced bronchial pneumonia.
- Def Leppard guitarist Steve Clark dies on January 8 due to compression of the brain stem from excessive alcohol mixed with anti-depressants and painkillers (as a result of a rib injury).
- KISS Drummer – Eric Carr dies at age 41 on November 24 (The same day as Freddie Mercury).
- Skid Row‘s second album “Slave to the Grind” becomes the only 90s classic heavy metal album to debut at No.1 in the Billboard music charts in the 90s.
- Metallica‘s self-titled “Black Album” becomes the first album by a thrash metal band to hit No.1 in the Billboard music charts.
- Mayhem‘s vocalist, Per Yngve Ohlin aka Dead, kills himself by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun and slitting his wrists with a hunting knife. He left a note reading “excuse all the blood”. Photographs of his corpse taken by bandmate, Euronymous, were later used as cover art for the bootleg album “Dawn of the Black Hearts”.
CARCASS – ”NECROTISICM – DESCANTING THE INSALUBRIOUS”
The drum-intro for “Corporal Jigsore Quandary” must be one of the most classic ones in metal together with JUDAS PRIESTs “Painkiller”.
DEATH – ”HUMAN”
My first meeting with DEATH was with the video for “Lack of Comprehension” that was aired on MTV’s Heafbangers Ball. It was instant love….
DISMEMBER – ”LIKE AN EVERFLOWING STREAM”
Nuclear Blast Records
J-Music in Haparanda/Sweden was a fantasic record store. I bought the Pic-LP version of this album back in the day and still have it in my collection.
ENTOMBED – ”CLANDESTINE”
Ok. I may have spoken highly of “Left Hand Path” in my 1990-post, but truth be told – this is the best ENTOMBED album.
MALEVOLENT CREATION – ”THE TEN COMMANDMENTS”
Ever since I heard MC for the first time on the ”Rock Hard Presents: Monsters Of Death” (1992) compilation with the song ”Thou Shall Kill” I’ve loved it. This is one of the best albums ever released.
MASSACRE – ”FROM BEYOND”
A pink cover (mistake), Kam Lee’s fantastic vocals and ff the best classic/wonderful guitar distortion ever on the side of the clasic HM-2 makes this one of the worlds greatest albums.
MORBID ANGEL – ”BLESSED ARE THE SICK”
Late night…..Vanessa Warwick and Headbanger’s Ball – Triple Thrash Treat. The video for “Blessed are the Sick”. As with DEATH, instant love…
SEPULTURA – ”ARISE”
Once again J-Music provided me with a choice, I could afford one album. SLAYER’s “Seasons in the Abyss” or this one. I chose “Arise” and in retrospect I’m glad for it since it was the ROUGH MIXES vinyl version.
SUFFOCATION – ”EFFIGY OF THE FORGOTTEN”
Godfathers of Brutal Death Metal. A genre that I have a hard time with nowadays, but “Effigy of the Forgotten” is an eternal classic.
UNLEASHED – ”Where no Life Dwells”
Century Media Records
”Before the creation of time, When nothingness was all”. Exactly! The beginning of Swedish Viking Death Metal and still the best shit done in the genre.