I you wanna read more about the idea and thought with this article series, read the first post —->>> HERE
1991, what a insane year when it comes to Death Metal. Many of my personal favourites were released this year and some of them are featured in the list below.
Some bands formed in 1991:
- Betrayer (pre. Belphegor)
- Cradle of Filth
Some events during 1991:
- November 24: Queen‘s Freddie Mercury dies of AIDS induced bronchial pneumonia.
- Def Leppard guitarist Steve Clark dies on January 8 due to compression of the brain stem from excessive alcohol mixed with anti-depressants and painkillers (as a result of a rib injury).
- KISS Drummer – Eric Carr dies at age 41 on November 24 (The same day as Freddie Mercury).
- Skid Row‘s second album “Slave to the Grind” becomes the only 90s classic heavy metal album to debut at No.1 in the Billboard music charts in the 90s.
- Metallica‘s self-titled “Black Album” becomes the first album by a thrash metal band to hit No.1 in the Billboard music charts.
- Mayhem‘s vocalist, Per Yngve Ohlin aka Dead, kills himself by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun and slitting his wrists with a hunting knife. He left a note reading “excuse all the blood”. Photographs of his corpse taken by bandmate, Euronymous, were later used as cover art for the bootleg album “Dawn of the Black Hearts”.
CARCASS – ”NECROTISICM – DESCANTING THE INSALUBRIOUS”
The drum-intro for “Corporal Jigsore Quandary” must be one of the most classic ones in metal together with JUDAS PRIESTs “Painkiller”.
DEATH – ”HUMAN”
My first meeting with DEATH was with the video for “Lack of Comprehension” that was aired on MTV’s Heafbangers Ball. It was instant love….
DISMEMBER – ”LIKE AN EVERFLOWING STREAM”
Nuclear Blast Records
J-Music in Haparanda/Sweden was a fantasic record store. I bought the Pic-LP version of this album back in the day and still have it in my collection.
ENTOMBED – ”CLANDESTINE”
Ok. I may have spoken highly of “Left Hand Path” in my 1990-post, but truth be told – this is the best ENTOMBED album.
MALEVOLENT CREATION – ”THE TEN COMMANDMENTS”
Ever since I heard MC for the first time on the ”Rock Hard Presents: Monsters Of Death” (1992) compilation with the song ”Thou Shall Kill” I’ve loved it. This is one of the best albums ever released.
MASSACRE – ”FROM BEYOND”
A pink cover (mistake), Kam Lee’s fantastic vocals and ff the best classic/wonderful guitar distortion ever on the side of the clasic HM-2 makes this one of the worlds greatest albums.
MORBID ANGEL – ”BLESSED ARE THE SICK”
Late night…..Vanessa Warwick and Headbanger’s Ball – Triple Thrash Treat. The video for “Blessed are the Sick”. As with DEATH, instant love…
SEPULTURA – ”ARISE”
Once again J-Music provided me with a choice, I could afford one album. SLAYER’s “Seasons in the Abyss” or this one. I chose “Arise” and in retrospect I’m glad for it since it was the ROUGH MIXES vinyl version.
SUFFOCATION – ”EFFIGY OF THE FORGOTTEN”
Godfathers of Brutal Death Metal. A genre that I have a hard time with nowadays, but “Effigy of the Forgotten” is an eternal classic.
UNLEASHED – ”Where no Life Dwells”
Century Media Records
”Before the creation of time, When nothingness was all”. Exactly! The beginning of Swedish Viking Death Metal and still the best shit done in the genre.
For as long as I can remember I’ve had a strong connection to music, you might even call it love. Perhaps even the only true love in my life to be a bit harsh. The fact that I for christmas 1983, aged six, got Twisted Sister‘s “Under the Blade” on cassette has probably colored my musical taste for the future to come.
For a long time I’ve been carrying around the idea of compiling some sort of toplists/playlists over the music “that shaped me” and 1990 felt like a natural year to begin with since that is the year when I seriously decided that I would become a collector. Even though I’ve been collecting since 1990 my collection is far from the biggest I’ve seen (just check out the Facebook group called “METAL COLLECTORS SOCIETY” for some sick collections) I still got a genuine collection of 2000+ articles in various forms (MC, CD, LP, DVD etc.).
On the 1:st of every month starting now I will be publishing a new list on no less that three platforms simultaneously a.k.a websites run by yours truly, (Blashyrkhbloggen, Deathdomain and SpotifyMetal). With 1990 as a starting point and a new list monthly you can expect this to last for about two years from now. But to get started here’s some facts from1990:
Some bands formed in 1990:
- At the Gates
- Fear Factory
- In Flames
- My Dying Bride
- Type o Negative
Some events during 1990:
- Adrian Smith leaves Iron Maiden because of musical differences. Janick Gers is hired to replace him.
- Metallica wins the first ever Grammy award in the category of Best Metal Performance for the song “One“.
- The infamous “Clash of the Titans” tour is this year, headlined by bands such as Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies and others.
- Marty Friedman joins Megadeth replacing Jeff Young on guitar.
- Possessed frontman, Jeff Becerra is paralyzed from the waist down after being shot in a mugging on his way home from work.
MY TOP 10 FOR 1990:
BATHORY – “HAMMERHEART”
Black Mark Production
“Hammerheart” is a true milestone, as well as being responsible for molding a whole genre of viking-inspired metal to come. “One Road to Asa Bay” is undeniably an immortalized classic. Quorthon R.I.P.
DEATH – “SPRITUAL HEALING”
Death did already release some classic track already with both “Scream Bloody Gore” (1987) and “Leprosy” (1989), but it wasn’t until 1990 I had my first encounter with the band and fell in love with the titel track which still to day is one of my absolute favourites with the band.
DEICIDE – “DEICIDE”
Deicide‘s debut has so many classics to offer it almost ridicolous. Just take tracks such as: “Lunatic of God’s creation”, “Sacrificial Suicide”, “Dead by Dawn”, “Carnage in the Temple of the Damned”. And I could just keep on going…
ENTOMBED – “LEFT HAND PATH”
An album that really sparked the whole scene of Swedish Death Metal back in the day. A more classic milestone than this when it comes to Swedish Death Metal is pretty much impossible to find.
KREATOR – “COMA OF SOULS”
German thrashers Kreator began already back in 1989 to refine their sound with “Extreme Aggression” (1989), but the big breakthrough came with “Coma of Souls” that is undeniably amongst the finest albums that Germany has produced when it comes to thrash metal.
MERCILESS – “THE AWAKENING”
Anti-Mosh 01 is sort just there somewhatclassic.The first release on the infamous label Deathlike Silence Productions run by Øystein “Euronymous” Aarseth (The most important dead communist since Stalin? according to a classic 1996 issue of the Finnish zine ISTEN). Raw and energetic Swedish death/thrash at its finest..
NAPALM DEATH – “HARMONY CORRUPTION”
Napalm Death‘s classic grindcore era aside, it wasn’t until the band decided to incorporate death metal influences I felt that it hit the spot for me. The true highlight on this album is the track “Unfit Earth” featuring guest vocals from not only John Tardy but also Glen Benton.
NOCTURNUS – “THE KEY”
When most pf the people within the scene advocated for a metal scene with no keyboards, Nocturnus chose to not give a fuck by releasing a truly magnificent and epic album full och keyboards combined with death metal.
OBITUARY – “CAUSE OF DEATH”
Chopped in half…..feel the blood spill from your mouth. With rotting ways comes destiny…..feel the soul taking over - Bleed….
SLAYER – “SEASONS IN THE ABYSS”
“War Ensemble”, “Dead Skin Mask”, “Seasons in the Abyss”, I don’t think I have to say more than that. Jeff Hanneman R.I.P.